KITCHEN REMODEL: Finding the right Contractor
Remodeling can turn your current home into the "Home of your Dreams!" To assure this process will be a pleasant experience, take the time to choose a contractor that is the right fit. The remodel process begins long before anyone drives that first nail and will continue long after the crews clean up and drive away. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to deal with all the situations that will come your way during your remodel.
Before you can choose a contractor, develop a plan of what you would like to do by making a prioritized list of your wants and needs. Collect magazine photos of what you would like. The more visuals you have, the easier you are able to convey a clearer imagine of your project to the contractor.
Seek referrals from friends, family or anyone in your inner circle that may have had remodeling work done. Each contractor brings a different level of expertise.
- Make sure the contractor has a license, is insured, bonded and ask for references.
- Select a contractor with a track record of a variety of excellent projects and plenty of experience with your type of remodel.
- Remember, you are looking to buy a "service" rather than a product when you hire a contractor.
- You may even choose to drive by one of their current construction locations to get a visual of what you may expect on your project. What does the job site look like? Calm, clean or chaotic?
- Does the contractor have good communication skills? Returns your calls promptly? This will be a clue of what to expect during the duration of your project.
- What is the attitude of the contractor as you can tell a lot about a person by their attitude? Is he/she kind and concerned? Bold and bossy?
- Take the time to make the right choice. A contractor should save you money by always doing a good job the first time!
- Remember, a low bid/price does not ensure a successful remodeling experience.