WHAT'S HAPPENING IN YOUR CRAWLSPACE?
Focus has quickly switched from dealing with ice and snow on the roof of our homes to "What is happening in our Crawlspaces?" As Murphy's Law has it ~ just when you are not watching <<bam>> and there's water in your crawlspace!
With very little storage in our homes so many look to their crawlspaces for seasonal storage. So be a dear, go into your crawlspace and give it a once over. Hopefully you had taken the time in the fall and prepared your home for the winter so you will not find any surprises during the spring thaw.
Looking with your special eyes...
- Are there any signs of moisture or standing water? (Hopefully, no).
- What is the condition of your foundation? Any new cracks? Should any cracks be on the outside of your home, these should be repaired to prevent water seepage in the future even if your crawlspace is currently dry.
- What is the condition of your foundation vent? Your vent is there to allow moisture to escape.
- Is that vent too close to any plumbing? If it is, you might experience freezing and/or breaking pipes.
- Is your crawlspace exposed dirt? If so, you will need to cover it with a vapor retarder (plastic). This is now required by code.
- Do you have evidence of mold? If so, call a professional. Mold in your home is very unhealthy!
- Do you have a sump pump? Is it in working order and doing its job?
A crawlspace is just a hole in the ground, under your home and water will be attracted to this area. With preventative maintenance, yours should be able to remain dry. Should you discover moisture or water damage in your home, do not pass go and immediately contact the professionals! Those every day heroes will save the day!