When a disaster, such as a fire or flood hits your home, call Taylored Restoration to Restore your Dreams. With offices in Anchorage, Fairbanks and the Mat-Su Valley, we are there 24/7.
Taylored brought this kitchen back to the heart of this home.
Watch for us at the 2013 Home, Garden and Remodeling Show, the weekend of March 8 through March 10th, at the Sullivan Area.
When it comes to your kitchen remodel, what is "your" style? There is no greater satisfaction than a beautiful kitchen as the Heart of your Home! But, if you do not consider yourself a gourmet cook or do not spend much time in your kitchen, then investing in top of the line appliances may not be the wisest thing.
However, you may want to consider purchasing energy efficient appliances now in order to save you money on your energy bills in the future. So think about the many options available. Here are a few ideas:
COOK TOP OR RANGE? With the cook top, some choices are:
- Electric coil or glass ceramic top - $
- Unsealed gas burners - $$
- Sealed gas burners, dual burners or added grill/griddle - $$$
RANGE, you can consider:
- Free standing range, electric coil burners - $
- Glass ceramic top with a self-cleaning feature - $$
- Slide in with double ovens, sealed gas burners, dual fuel - $$$
- Under cabinet style, two speed control, incandescent cooking light - $
- Four speed control, halogen cooking light - $$
- High powered, down draft exhaust units, custom/decorative designs - $$$
- Countertop or over the range styles - $
- High wattage with quick touch cooking controls - $$
- Convention cooking - $$$
- Electric control, low capacity - $
- Two racks, delay start cook control - $$
- Double ovens, convention cooking, glass touch controls - $$$
- Top mount/freezer, manual defrost - $
- Bottom mount, side by side, French style door, frost free - $$
- Built-in, water and ice dispenser, large capacity - $$$
- Basic models, low capacity - $
- Rinse and hold cycles, multiple spray arms, sound installation, tall tub - $$
- Quiet cycles, stainless steel tub, delayed wash timers - $$$
OTHER QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS ON APPLIANCES:
- If you entertain often, you may also consider adding a beverage cooler/wine refrigerator to your kitchen design.
- Would a built-in ice maker work better for entertaining or is the ice maker in your refrigerator sufficient enough?
- With a larger family, would a warming drawer be beneficial in your new design?
- Would it make sense to place a garbage disposal in your prep sink as well as your main sink?
Choose your appliances "first" in a kitchen remodel to have the proper dimensions before ordering your cabinets. This will leave little or no room for error. Take time to visit a Showroom for additional ideas and get the assistance of an expert to help to plan that Kitchen Remodel of Your Dreams!
Remodeling can turn your current home into the "Home of your Dreams!" To assure this process will be a pleasant experience, take the time to choose a contractor that is the right fit. The remodel process begins long before anyone drives that first nail and will continue long after the crews clean up and drive away. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to deal with all the situations that will come your way during your remodel.
Before you can choose a contractor, develop a plan of what you would like to do by making a prioritized list of your wants and needs. Collect magazine photos of what you would like. The more visuals you have, the easier you are able to convey a clearer imagine of your project to the contractor.
Seek referrals from friends, family or anyone in your inner circle that may have had remodeling work done. Each contractor brings a different level of expertise.
- Make sure the contractor has a license, is insured, bonded and ask for references.
- Select a contractor with a track record of a variety of excellent projects and plenty of experience with your type of remodel.
- Remember, you are looking to buy a "service" rather than a product when you hire a contractor.
- You may even choose to drive by one of their current construction locations to get a visual of what you may expect on your project. What does the job site look like? Calm, clean or chaotic?
- Does the contractor have good communication skills? Returns your calls promptly? This will be a clue of what to expect during the duration of your project.
- What is the attitude of the contractor as you can tell a lot about a person by their attitude? Is he/she kind and concerned? Bold and bossy?
- Take the time to make the right choice. A contractor should save you money by always doing a good job the first time!
- Remember, a low bid/price does not ensure a successful remodeling experience.
A word that I feel has become quite "stylish" is Re-Purpose. How so? Well, with the world's population growing and more items are being manufactured to become a "sure in" to our landfills we need to go with the flow. Not much is made like "the good old days". So, what can we do about it? Repurpose.
A perfect example of repurposing items is the Habitat for Humanity's RESTORE STORE which is located on Cordova Street in Anchorage. This is a place that allows "Trash to become Treasures". Reminds me of the garbage man's logo on his trash truck long ago back in Minnesota stating "Your Trash is my Bread & Butter". (Thanks Jerry Telker!)
In my opinion, this place is awesome. Aisles of donated construction supplies, from cabinets to tiles to lighting to paint to appliances and even furniture from Hotels doing their sprucing up - out with the "Old" & in with the "New". But one of the best thing is that these items are staying out of our landfills!
You too can make a difference! Call or click but be sure to "donate" your items from your remodel project to the Restore Store. You may drop off or they will pick up. You may also find that "replacement something" that your big box stores no longer carry. A perfect shopping experience for that "do it yourself" person or unleashing "the crafty person" within!
Founded in 1972, Taylored Restoration is one of Alaska's leading Remodeling and Renovation Companies. Now offering services in Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley and Fairbanks, we are a customer-focused company that has completed thousands of home projects. We strive to serve our "Customers for Life!"
Our carpenters and subcontractors are carefully screened and chosen to meet the highest standard of excellence. We have a highly skilled workforce and a commitment to stay at the leading edge of the industry. We do this by providing a learning and supportive environment for our employees.
Our family is in its third generation in Alaska and we have a strong interest in the well-being of our community. Taylored Restoration and the company team have contributed time and money to many community projects including the local Chapter of the American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Beacon Hill, AWAIC, AHBA Care Endowment and Covenant House.
There are people that have a clear vision when it comes to updating and remodeling your home and there are others that just do not. That's why Showrooms are helpful as they supply you with the visual "eye candy", so to speak, that will allow decision making a bit easier. Showroom specialists will assist you in finding the perfect design that suits your tastes for your Home or Office.
What is your current style? Your home reflects your personal style and like many things, your style may change as your family or lifestyle changes. So it is OK to have a home design makeover.
Where to begin? Do your research, if you have the time, otherwise ask friends or co-workers for referrals. It is amazing on how "referrals" are one of the top ways that people find a company that they trust for their project.
Next, make an appointment with the company you choose to discuss your ideas with the expert and to see what their Showroom has to offer. Not only you will be able to see, touch and examine these items but you may also check your favorite sample(s) out to see if they feel right in the privacy of your own home. By bringing in drawings or magazines of ideas that you may have, will also give the Showroom Specialist a visual of the direction you would like to take.
CABINETS: Many styles, colors and qualities available. A style for every budget!
FLOORING: Laminates, hardwood, vinyl, carpet and more!
Showrooms should also have photos available of projects that have completed, some hopefully before and after. So whether you are hoping for something as simple as blinds, cabinets, new flooring or more, make that call today to begin the process in order to avoid the summer rush!